President & CEO
Paul Downey became President & CEO of Serving Seniors in 1995, after volunteering for the organization for nearly ten years.
Since becoming President & CEO Paul has steadfastly guided Serving Seniors’ innovative efforts to keep low-income seniors healthy and independent. In addition to building and operating a 200-unit, low-income, senior housing complex called Potiker Family Senior Residence in downtown San Diego and a 150-unit affordable housing complex for seniors in City Heights, Paul has overseen the agency’s wrap-around wellness services, nutrition program, public relations and advocacy efforts.
In 2015, Paul was invited by President Obama to participate in the White House Conference on Aging. He was also appointed by Congresswoman Susan Davis as a delegate to the 2005 White House Conference on Aging.
Paul is a graduate of San Diego State University with a degree in journalism, and has also completed a certificate program in Strategic Perspectives in Non-Profit Management from Harvard Business School.
CURRENT BOARD SERVICE
- Public Policy Committee, American Society on Aging (ASA)
- Gary and Mary West Senior Dental Center
- San Diego County Social Services Advisory Board
PAST BOARD SERVICE
- Chair, California Commission on Aging, the principal advisory board to the Governor, State Legislature and state, federal and local departments and agencies on issues affecting older adults
- Chair, Dean’s Advisory Committee for the College of Health and Human Services at San Diego State University
- President, National Association of Nutrition and Aging Services Programs (NANASP), based in Washington D.C.; NANASP is considered the nation’s preeminent advocacy organization for senior nutrition
- Affordable Housing
- Aging Policy
- Elections & Seniors
- Social Security
- Nutrition Education
- Senior Employment
- Senior Homelessness