Lifelong learning opportunities keep minds sharp, improve memory skills, increase self-confidence, and provide opportunities to meet people with similar interests.
Education and Activities
Nothing transforms the aging experience like feeling young and fit, both mentally and physically. Open to all seniors in the community at no or low cost, we offer fun classes that engage and educate:
- Fitness opportunities (Yoga, Tai Chi, Feeling Fit)
- Interactive games (chess, Scrabble, Wii)
- Health education workshops (hearing screenings, fall prevention, blood pressure clinics, chronic disease management)
- Arts and crafts classes (jewelry making, painting, knitting)
- General knowledge workshops (travel, trivia, current events)
- Social activities (dance classes, birthday parties)
Civic Engagement Committee
Serving Seniors’ Civic Engagement Committee engages and empowers low-income seniors in addressing challenges that impact the senior community. Program participants meet weekly to identify concerns and work together to develop strategies to address key issues.
Participants are encouraged to form relationships and engage in meaningful activities, increasing social mobility, helping foster a sense of purpose and enabling them to give back to the community through volunteer service. Seniors volunteer not only at Serving Seniors, but also at local community organizations.
If you’re interested in participating in the Civic Engagement Committee, or represent an organization in need of senior volunteers, please call Tim Ruis: 619-487-0727.
The Civic Engagement Committee plays a key role in many of the community action projects at the Gary and Mary West Senior Wellness Center. The community action efforts of Civic Engagement can be grouped into three categories...